Tuesday, July 19, 2005

THE PINOY POP SUPERSTAR EXPERIENCE

Believe it or not, I actually tried my luck in becoming Philippines' next Pop Superstar. I almost made it... well, almost...

My ex-boyfriend encouraged me to try singing as a career. When he found out that I could sing well and that I teach voice classes, he encouraged me to audition for GMA 7's PINOY POP SUPERSTAR. At first I was hesistant because I didn't dream of becoming famous and becoming a public figure. But after much thought of it, I gave in to the idea and mustered my courage to line-up under the scorching heat outside GMA 7 compound in Timog together with my friend Oreo Vamenta. I brought with me my requirements: two 3R pictures (whole body and close-up), birth certificate and valid ID.

Although I arrived early, there was already long line for those who want to try their luck to be seen on national television. So, my friend and I lined up and waited for our turn to get inside the vicinity. When we got in a room where they collected our applications, a lady announced the rules and other important things regarding application. My turn then came and I handed my application. The lady then asked me "you're 21 already?". She continued,"Sorry, but the age limit is 21 and you'll be 22 in the duration of the contest". She handed back my papers and I bowed my head down. It was the end of my venture into showbusiness.

But wait JORY.... luckily, another lady approached and got my papers. She scrutinized my looks and my outfit. She stared closer at me. Hmmm... it was the star factor she was looking for. She got a piece of paper and handed it to me: AUDITIONEE #459. Yehey! I got in!!!

Next step to stardom was singing "a capella" song in front of RC BALTAZAR. While waiting in line for long hours because I was no. 459, I saw familiar faces who joined singing contests on TV. There was one who was a Grand Finalist in MTB's Star Quest, another was a semifinalist in Star for A night and many others were Star In A Million monthly contestants. I even overheard two girls chatting about their past audition experiences. Wow! Almost all of them were veterans in the singing competition arena. I, on the other hand, was a first-timer.

It was my turn to sing my song of choice. Before entering the audition room, my heart started to beat faster, my knees shook and my palms sweat. I slowly walked towards the center of the room where the microphone stand stood still. I got the mic and introduced myself. RC, the resident critic, noticed my hands shaking and laughed at me. I told this is my first time to line up and audition for a singing contest. Then, I started to sing the chorus part "WHY GOD WHY?" from the musical Miss Saigon. RC commented on my performance that it was a bit shaky because I felt nervous. He wrote something on a piece of paper and handed it over to me. It read: CONGRATULATIONS FOR PASSING PHASE 1 AUDITIONS. Yehey! I'll be coming back for the 2nd auditions.

I came back as early as 9 am for the 2nd day of audition. Out of 600 plus in the first audition, we were a hundred left for the 2nd round. We were seated chronologically, according to our original number. So, I was still at the end part because I was no. 459. It started past 10. I waited until my turn... waited... waited... and waited. It was until 7 pm that I had my chance to sing. I was hungry and tired. DEAD TIRED!!! My energy got drained of waiting for my turn. So, I walked past the cameraman and went to the center of the "stage". I decided to sing "I Will Be Here" because it's something close to my heart. I started from chorus, "I will be here when you feel like being quiet, I wil listen". Then my mind totally went blank, I forgot my lyrics!!!! I really don't know why in this crucial part??? But I just don't know what line to sing next. What I did? I repeated the first line and realized it was the end of the road to fame.

"Jory, do you know your lyrics?" That was what I heard from the audition master. I smiled at him, that was all I could do. Then he told me to try my luck in the coming auditions and be sure of my lyrics next time.

I was contemplating of trying again and come back for the next auditions. If I sang my signature song "THROUGH THE FIRE", could it have changed my life? But I think singing as career is not meant for me. I'm happy and satisfied singing for my family and friends. My heart is contented when they appreciate my singing performance. Kung kumanta naman kasi ako talagang performance level kaya wala silang masabi. Hahaha!!!

Singing is my passion... but as a career??? hmmm... I think I have other things where I could excel best...

jory 8:02 PM


Jory!!! So proud of you... imagine... being able to get pass the crucial stage 1 auditions :)

Blogger Belle   speaks   4:31 AM  

naks! go jory! hehe. i admire your courage! sana ako rin!

Blogger clatot   speaks   2:55 PM  

Post a Comment << Home