Wednesday, July 13, 2005

IS APATHY A SIN?

Gail called me up to ask if I want to go with her to Standard Chartered to withdraw money. Our office's payday is on the 13th and 28th by the way. So I told her I'll come with her because I don't have cash on hand.

We were strolling along Ayala Avenue on the way to the bank when we suddenly thought of going to the "GLORIA RESIGN" rally in Paseo. It was out of curiosity. Trip lang namin!!! For a usual working day in Makati, Ayala Avenue is jammed with cars and big buses. But today was unusual: Ayala Avenue was packed with people shouting for Gloria to step down. Vendors of dirty ice creams, peanut, fishball, green mango and even balloons were also scattered in Ayala. The Makati City Government is strict with the proliferation of these kind of vendors along Ayala but today was an exception.

Gail and I were laughing hard as we approached the crowd gathered around the stage especially set-up for today's big rally. We didn't have any other reason to be in the rally, it was simply "pakikiusyoso". We took pictures of the teenagers chanting and swaying "GLORIA RESIGN" flags. We posed and smiled on camera with the protestors in the background. Gail even joked that if a TV reporter would approach us we will answer her questions in slang English.

It was fun indeed. However, it was apathetic. But I choose to be in apathy with the current political turmoil the country is experiencing today. I'm not pro or anti GLORIA and I love the Philippines so much. But with the recurring political rallies calling our heads of state to resign? I'm fed up!!! We haven't learned our lesson from EDSA 1 and EDSA 2. Will there be another impeachment? Will this be another PEOPLE POWER in the making? We overuse the term "bloodless revolution" and it seems to lose it real essence. I hate to say it but it's true!!!

When can we learn to trust the government that we ourselves have established and the government officials that we ourselves have have put into office? When can politicians be public servants? I hate their loyalty to their political parties!!! They should serve the people first, it's their first call of duty, not their own political allies and interests.

I know there's hope for this country. But is my apathy a grievous sin? I think not.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
smile talaga anoh?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
malapit yan sa stage
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
confetti
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
flags (collage by Gail)

jory 4:22 PM


Post a Comment << Home