Sunday, September 03, 2006

U.S. J-1 VISA APPROVED!

I couldn't sleep well the night before my US visa interview. I felt uncomfortable and nervous. Uncomfortable because I don't know what will happen during the interview. Nervous because I don't know what will be the result of my interview.

It was at 4:30 am that I have finally decided to finally get up from my bed and psyche myself up for the upcoming interview scheduled at 7:20 am. I checked that all my application forms, letters from PWC and AIESEC, passport and other supporting documents are in my clear book. I finished preparing at 5:30 am and immediately left the house. Before hailing a cab, I dropped by the church to say my prayers and asked for God's guidance. I know that whatever the results will be, God knows that it's good for me. I arrived at the US embassy 6 am. Though it was still early, the line was long outside the embassy. I joined the long queue of US visa hopefuls. While waiting for my time to submit my forms, I got to know Joy who also applied for J1 visa. She told me that it was her second time to apply for a J1 visa. Her first attempt? She got denied. That scared me a lot because we have almost the same documents: letter from the employer, certificate of eligibility for J1 visa and personal supportindg documents. It dawned to me that even though I have an assured job in the US, I still am not assured of a visa. Gone were the high hopes. Then after submitting my documents, I got my number and waited for my interview time. I sat beside Joy and asked her for some tips of the interview. We said our prayers together. Then we had our fingerprint scanning and waited for our number to be called by the interviewing consuls. When the consuls started opening their blinds, my heart started to beat faster. It was that decisive moment. There's no turning back.

During the course of waiting for my number, I saw happy faces who got the yellow card which means visa approved. But more faces were sad when they were denied of a US visa.

My number (2201) was flashed on the board to proceed to window 7 for my interview. I took a deep breath and stood with my head up high.

(not the exact words really but the thought is)
Consul: Good Morning jory!
Jory: Good Morning Sir!
Consul: How are you feeling today?
Jory: I feel great. Thanks for asking, sir. How about you?
Consul: Great. What are you going to do in US.
Jory: I'm going to the US for my traineeship with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and AIESEC US.
Consul: Why did you choose to have a traineeship in the US?
Jory: It's for the good of my career to gain more knowledge in data quality analysis.
Consul: So, you graduated from the Ateneo. AB Economics. What did you do after graduating?
Jory: Fresh out of college, I joined Thomson Financial.
Consul: How is your family situation?
Jory: My family is doing quite well. My parents and my brothers are all in the province.#
Consul: When do you plan to arrive in US? (he was signing my papers and got a yellow paper)
Jory: Hopefully before September 15.
Consul: Jory, you proceed back to the pavillion and the courier will have your visa delivered.
Jory: THANK YOU SIR!

I was so happy when I went out. Then it dawned to me that I'll be leaving my special someone, my family, my friends and my room. MY COMFORT ZONE.

I called Gail and told her the news. Then I cried!

So many things to think of... So many belongings to pack... So many things to finish at work... And I haven't started one yet...

I have to arrive in New Jersey last week of September. It leaves me with three weeks to prepare before I start a new life in US.

Excited but sad...

jory 9:10 PM


magpa-despidida gyud ka ayha ka molarga day. mingawon gyud mi nimo!

Anonymous Anonymous   speaks   2:28 PM  

Congrats! Jory

Anonymous Anonymous   speaks   3:06 AM  

way to go, garitoy!!! :)

Blogger Miki   speaks   7:39 AM  

I am happy for you jory... really. I'll see you in Chicago soon... its only a train ride from jersey.

Anonymous Anonymous   speaks   1:00 AM  

miss you dai!

Blogger Markus Ezekiel Caidoy   speaks   8:48 PM  

jory,

im so happy for you. hope you would keep on blogging even when you're there. pictures ha. ;-)

but at the same time, kawawa naman si gail. she will always miss you...

Anonymous Anonymous   speaks   3:04 PM  

Hey Jory, I wish you all the best... New York is where I spent the most exciting 6 months in my life and i really would do anything to get a job like yours. You inspire us dai!!! Godspeed and keep in touch, I wanna follow your footsteps someday

Anonymous Anonymous   speaks   12:08 AM  

good for you :)..

Anonymous Anonymous   speaks   5:28 PM  

Post a Comment << Home